MMTA Headquarters:
(410) 644-4600

Make Sure You Pay Your Highway Use Tax if Operating in New York

September 28, 2022

Recently one MMTA member was cited for not paying the New York state highway use tax (HUT). New York imposes the HUT on motor carriers operating qualified motor vehicles on its public highways (excluding toll-paid portions of the New York State Thruway). 

  • HUT certificates of registration are required for any truck, tractor, or other self-propelled vehicle with a gross weight over 18,000 pounds.
  • An automotive fuel carrier (AFC) certificate of registration is required for any truck, trailer, or semi-trailer transporting automotive fuel.

You must also affix a decal to each vehicle that is required to have a certificate of registration and file HUT. Decals should be placed on the front of the vehicle, as close as possible to the vehicle’s license plate, and may be put on the bumper. For more information go to

©2024 Maryland Motor Truck Association - All Rights Reserved
Website Design and Hosting by DH WEB -