Bill Nearhoof of Pitt Ohio --- Maryland’s 2020 Driver of the Year!
February 9, 2021
On February 8, 2021 Willard “Bill” Nearhoof III of Pitt Ohio was selected as Maryland's 2020 Truck Driver of the Year. Bill is the longest serving employee in the history of Pitt Ohio, having started with the company when it was formed in 1979. He was chosen as the Driver of the Year by the Maryland State Police based on his extraordinary record, which includes:
- 44 years of safe driving, traveling 3.7 million miles.
- Training more than 100 other Pitt Ohio employees in the Smith System driver safety program.
- Actively contributing to charities such as the Maryland Food Bank, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, and VFW Post 6321.
- Serving in the U.S. Navy Seabees from 1973 to 1979.
- Previously winning MMTA’s Driver of the Month award twice, in 2008 and 2016.
Mr. Nearhoof was selected from among 12 drivers who are being honored as the 2020 Drivers of the Month. The records of the 12 Drivers of the Month are extraordinary, with almost 18 million miles of safe driving. Due to COVID restrictions, Maryland Motor Truck Association was unable to hold its normal celebratory banquet; however, each Driver of the Month will receive a plaque and a jacket for his/her achievement. Mr. Nearhoof also received a crystal truck from Maryland Motor Truck Association as well as several citations from organizations such as the Maryland State Police, Maryland Transportation Authority Police and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
2020 MMTA Drivers of the Months/Year PDF